Friday, August 5, 2011

naive

the fire raging in our guts - it burnt out long ago
the dreams of getting out of here
have morphed into longing to stay
a future with no certainty - i'd trade it in a second
for a knowledge of who I'll be
what I'll do, and a permanent place

we were young, we had passion
we had dreams that we could never achieve
thought we were strong, but we were wrong
we were so naive

maybe I'm just cynical or maybe I've finally matured
idealistic dreams are good for some
but it's never been good for me
I'm still trying to hold to some form of reality
where the place that I set my feet
is the place that sets me free

and when we tried to set the world on fire
we were too consumed to even see
that we were just as guilty as everyone else
that we thought that we could set free

1 comment: